What Are Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs)?
Did you ever wonder what that musty odor is that commonly accompanies mold growth? That odor is the Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs) that are being released from the mold spores.
Certain molds have the ability to release directly in to the air and produce this strong odor. mVOCs have been known to cause symptoms such as: headaches, nasal irritation, dizziness, fatigue and nausea. (EPA) Molds that can produce these mVOCs include Chaetomium, Aspergillus and Pencillium.
If you are experiencing an odor in your home this could be an indication of an unhealthy mold situation. If you have questions regarding mVOCs or would like to schedule a mold inspection and testing, contact us to speak with a mold professional.